Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I'm driving down the road this is the second time it's

Customer Question

I'm driving down the road this is the second time it's happened and I get a message that says check VSC system and it looks like I've been on wet pavement which I have not been
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has the car been handling lately?
Customer: 169591
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: Perfect like always
JA: What year is your Lexus?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Last time I turned it off and turned it back on again I got the cruise back and the VSC system error message was gone and the check hybrid system message was gone but I've had to jump it twice in the past two weeks
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Do you want me to read what's behind this message box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, nothing more
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please identify the model of your 2006 Lexus. I do not see that info on my screen. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rx400h

Hello. When you see a VSC warning light, this usually means that one of the wheel speed sensors is not responding properly. This could come from several different causes...

1) faulty wheel speed sensor

2) water intrusion or other corrosion related issues in the wire connector form the wheel speed sensor to the wire harness

3) Excess rust particles in the hub where the gear that the sensor 'counts' is located

4) Cracked or otherwise damaged counter gear inside the hub.

5) a different tire than the other 3

Sadly, diagnosis of these items is rather difficult without access to a high quality scan tool that can read VSC real time data. Replacing all 4 wheel speed sensors may not cure the issue as we do not know if the sensors are the issue, ot that what they 'read' is the issue.

The absolute best way to tackle this is via a scan tool. When hooked up, read the real time RPM of each wheel speed sensor. The one that is not matching the other three is where one starts diagnosis. Exactly what it is would require further investigation.

However, if there are 3 of one brand of tire (say Goodyear), and the 4th tire is a Michelin, this may be the entire issue, as different tire manufacturers do not have the exact same circumference as the other manufacturers do. This circumference discrepancy (3 like tires and on different) can change the RPM of the sensor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please confirm you have received my input. Thanks