Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Check engine light came on vsc off flashing, VSC off light

Customer Question

check engine light came on vsc off flashing
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: VSC off light blinks
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: RX(###) ###-####
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just disconnected battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: how can a mechanic help online?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

if you have a blinking VSC light then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

as the check engine light is also on then this too is best dealt with by plugging in a scan tool and reading off the fault code

if you can let me know what you find I'll try to help further

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I received your response this morning. Thanks but it was too late. I dont think I should be charged for this response.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

If you're dissatisfied with the response time then you can request a refund

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much was I charged? How do I ask for refund?