Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Is the key code for my 2001 Lexus 300es on the VIN sticker?

Customer Question

JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Not trying to reset it. Just trying to get a new key cut. The plastic fob broke off the metal key
JA: What is the model of your '01 Lexus?
Customer: 300es
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to have it cut at hardware store but the key I got to replace it was too short. There is a business that will send me a precut replacement if I can give them the key code number. So I'm trying to find the number. Bought car used so don't have the code.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. For security purposes, the key code is not part of the VIN. However, if you visit any Lexus dealer parts department, and provide them with proof of identification of yourself and the vehicle (a driver license and a vehicle registration would be perfect), the part counter person can look up your key code on the Lexus parts computer.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.