Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Need to repair struts on my rear of a 2003 Lexus ES 300, No

Customer Question

Need to repair struts on my rear of a 2003 Lexus ES 300
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: No fluid but tire rubbing
JA: Are you fixing your ES 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be doing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need instructions on how to do it
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 21 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begin, do you have a professional-grade strut spring compressor?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I got one at auto zone
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 20 days ago.

The hardest part of this job is two-fold. First, you need to remove the entire rear seating and interior trim to access the three nuts at the top of the inner uniframe panel that holds the top of the strut to the panel. The other thing is being very careful with this tool. If the spring slips inside the tool, you (and people/items around you) can be severely injured if the spring dislodges from the compressor. Now, you said your tires are rubbing. Before embarking on this job, since the tires are rubbing, first check to see if either rear spring coil is broken. The struts do not support the weight of the car; the springs do. The struts smooth out the ride and reduce the springyness of the rear coil spring rebound. If your rear coil springs are broken, there is no need for the compressor. You can get a totally built up spring/strut combination. This would be highly recommended with regards ***** ***** 13 year old car that has tire rub at the rear. Even if the rear springs are not broken, you should really replace the rear springs because of the tire rub (the rear springs have lost their ability to support the proper ride height.

Removal of the interior is rather straightforward. Remove the rear seat bottom and then the seat back. Remove the side panels between the door and the seat area. Remove the rear trims that are beyond the door on the body interior. Remove the rear parcel shelf. Once the parcel shelf is off you can access the tops of the struts where the three nuts are.