Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

The exterior Back Door Opener on the power tailgate of a

Customer Question

The exterior Back Door Opener on the power tailgate of a 2004 RX330 has stopped working. Door works fine dashboard Power Door Button and key remote. Suspect just the exterior switch has become inoperative. How do I replace the switch?
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: Interrogative...key?
JA: What is the model of your '04 Lexus?
Customer: RX330
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix it but am not certain how to remove the exterior switch assembly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Door works fine with dashboard button and key chain button.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. There should be a screw or a bolt that holds the rear switch to the metal portion of the back door. Open the rear door and raise it fully, TO the left of the switch there should be this fastener. Remove it, and the switch should slide out. There amy be enough wire that will pull out to access the wire connector. If not, you need to remove all of the interior plastic trim on the back door. If you are not skilled in this type of removal, you can and will either break the rather thin plastic panels (easy to do because you need to pry the plastic loose to defeat the plastic clamps between the underside of the plastic and the metal door frame. You also can and will break the plastic clamps that holds the trim to the door. This would be expected on clamps of this age; they get brittle over time. After all of the interior rear door panels are off you can remove the pull handle and the other accessories. Then remove the rear door inner panel; after that, you can access the switch wire connector. A second word of caution here: You can and will break the plastic panels and the retainer clamps if you are not extremely careful. The replacement clamps are not expensive, but the rear trims are around 100 dollars each.