Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I just took in my 2006 400h in for a fluid leak which

Customer Question

I just took in my 2006 400h in for a fluid leak which appeared to be coolant. They looked at it at thought it was a leak from the water pump ont the electric motor. Going in to fix it they now say that the leak is from the coolant from the transmission. It is apparently leaking from a junction of the transmission housing. The only way to fix it is to replace the whole transmission.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Is this a RX-400H?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Without seeing the issue, it is hard to say what the cause of the coolant leak is. One thing I can tell you though, is coolant does not run thru this transmission. The transmission fluid is ran thru pipes to the radiator, where it is cooled. I would highly advise you getting a second opinion on this leak before you put a trans in it and the leak is still there. I suspect a water pump impeller shaft seal leak.

The coolant in the radiator is separate from the transmission cooling portion of the radiator. THe transmission fluid is ran thru the radiator to cool the transmission.

Please confirm you have received my input; thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have received it. You don't know of any issue where the transmission would be need to be replaced to fix a leak of coolant

Is this a hybrid vehicle?

There is a cooling system on the HYBRID transmission, but not on the non-hybrid. I may have mis-read your question; apologies. . But still, this would be an extremely rare occasion. We have never experienced a transaxxle coolant leak. However, the waterpumps are notorious for leaking. Same color fluid. I would have the cooling system dye-tested; get a second opinion.