Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2003 GX470 and one day I turned it on and no sound.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 GX470 and one day I turned it on and no sound. The dealer tells me it is the amplifier. However, after installing the amplifier, they say that the radio is also out and it needs to be replaced. What is the chance of the amplifier and the radio going out at the same time? Is there another problem that they are not looking at?
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: it came with the car
JA: What is the model of your '03 Lexus?
Customer: GX470
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. It is with the Lexus dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause is the sound amplifier failing needing replaced for this issue here.They may have assumed it was the sound amp on yours due to the common fault with it and requested it to be replaced but from what is described here it sounds like the radio may have been the only cause.I have misdiagnosed this as well before in the past and put in an amp then found out the radio is at fault.

You can see if they will re try your old amp and see if it has sound with the new radio or replacement radio and if it does have sound then see if they will take the charge off for the new amp.It is unlikely that both failed at the same time but it is possible that the radio shorted out the amp or the amp shorted out the radio and both need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete