lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

I have a 1996 lexus es300. I'm replacing the front brakes

Customer Question

I have a 1996 lexus es300. I'm replacing the front brakes and flushing the brake lines. I had the brake calipers off, and I started to flush the brake lines starting with the rear right wheel. However, I forgot to clamp in the front, and so when we pumped the breaks the piston of both front calipers came out as well as fluid all over the floors. I didn't even notice at first because although the calipers were off, I just had them hanging by a wire, and had the tires on because I didn't have jack stands until today. I put the piston back in and put c clamps on, and continued to bleed the rear right until I saw clear fluid coming out without bubbles (well there were some tiny tiny tiny little bubbles but it was 99.9% nothing, and I was going through alot of fluid). Then i went to the rear left side and repeated process. Now, with the front calipers still clamped and the backs bleeded I got in the car and pushed down on the breaks and it goes with some stress but goes all the way to the floor. Does not feel pressurized?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Cary York replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Have you bleed the front?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well i guess inadvertently because i blew the pistons out because the calipers were unhooked and not C clamped.

Sorry I will have to opt out so another expert can help.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Jsut Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As I understand the basis problem, you bled the brakes without benefit of the caliper being in place over the rotor, is this correct?