Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

1998 lexus LS400 cranks over but no fuel reaching engine. I

Customer Question

1998 lexus LS400 cranks over but no fuel reaching engine. I checked the fuel pump relay and there is no poer to it in the module. i checked fuses. No idea where to go from here.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 260,00 miles. runs great. it ran fine when i last turned it off.
JA: What is the model of your '98 Lexus?
Customer: LS400
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I've tested the fuel pump relay by the tests I see online and it clicks and operates fine but there is no power in the module where the relay plugs in when key is in run position
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Power to the LS 400 Fuel Pump Relay is supplied when the CIRCUIT OPENING relay is energized by the Fuel injection computer. Can you check to see if you have power in the Circuit Opening Relay sockets, and it it is indeed activating? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to be away for an errand this afternoon so it will be tomorrow before I can check. Thanks.

ok. I will wait for you reply tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon I'm back. Yes, the circuit where the No. 2 spade on the Circuit Opening Relay plugs into has power when the key is on.

Here is how this works:

The Circuit opening relay COIL is powered by the 10 amp IGN fuse. The Circuit opening relay CONTACTS receive power from the EFI relay. DO you have power in the EFI relay sockets with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, I replaced the Circuit Opening Relay and it starts right up and runs as before. Thanks.

GREAT! Glad to hear that.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day