Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner

I need to program a second key for a 2007 RX 350. I have the

Customer Question

I need to program a second key for a 2007 RX 350. I have the master key. Can't seem to find the instructions.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: Just want a second back up key. The original (master key) works fine. I have already had the second key "cut"
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: One process involved pressing the gas pedal and brake. It didn didn't work. The other process involved cycling the key from off to on, then opening the drivers door several times. It didn't seem to work either.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just looking for the instructions to program a key. The second key I have has the OEM inner "guts". The metal part of the key fits into the ignition and can turn the ignition cylinder just fine. The car won't start because of the security feature. Hence the key needs to be programmed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good. Much appreciated.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi .

Please try the following :

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed.
To end programming step on brake one time.

If you have problems doing this then please get back to me .

This can only be done with the master key.

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating this issue .
Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg,I tried those instructions several times with no success. I'm curious; in Step 3 the master key is cycled from OFF to ON. In looking at the metal ignition key cylinder mechanism there are four discrete positions. Using a clock face as an analogy, at the 10 position is the word LOCK, at 11 is the word ACC and the 12 position is the word ON and at the 1 position is the word START. So in Step 3, what is the corresponding OFF position? Is it LOCK or ACC? Also, for Step 6, when inserting the new key, should it be in the LOCK, ACC, ON or START position?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

the key in stage 6 can only be done in the position where the key comes out LOCK.

When asked to do any sequence is OF to ON off being where you can not remove the key .

ON is just before you engage the starter .where the ignition lights come on .

so on to off turn to the right to on ,

OFF turn to the left completely with out pressing in the key to remove (ACC)

So easy said OFF = ACC

ON = just before the starter engage ON.

Still having problems let me know .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Darn. I have tried those steps multiple times. And still no luck. I gotta run an errand, but I will try those steps again later this afternoon and see if somehow I get lucky. Hopefully the next step of programming the remote FOB lock/unlock buttons for the new key go more smoothly.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 month ago.

Hi .

Just been informed by my toyota dealer that the 2007 onwards have to be programmed with the diagnostic tools key programmer etc.

So you put you though this procedure that will not work on the 2007 models .

Kind regards Greg