FIXITMAN, Master Technician

I changed the key battery yesterday and the car started

Customer Question

I changed the key battery yesterday and the car started fine. But this morning I had to try numerous time to get it to start. It completes the engine check but then nothing. After 2 or 3 tries it starts. Did I miss something when I changed the key battery?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes, I think this is the second time I changed the key battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2011 IS 250
JA: Are you fixing your IS 250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I plan to bring it to a mechanic if I can't readily identify the problem. Do you have a couple things I can try before I bring it in. I can try this evening when I get home from work and if none of that works I plan on bringing it in. Would a low car battery cause this issue?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can think of anything.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** of the time when this occurs it is because the transmitter has lost its ability to communicate. In some cases this can also be caused by a bad connection at the vehicle battery. To verify if it is the key fob try using a spare one if you have it. If it is better with that then the transmitter is failing. If not then the battery connections need to be checked as well as the battery load tested. In some cases the receiver module needs to be reprogrammed when this occurs, but that is not that common. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.