Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

Well just cruising the internet looking for some advise

Customer Question

Well Hello....just cruising the internet looking for some advise about...... ticking noise on my 98 Lexus LS400. Mechanic shop person said.... thinks its the lifters but not really sure. cost around $1200.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: ok....sounds like in the middle of the engine (that's probably not much help) I have noticed that it only happens when the car sits for a couple of days without starting. usually after about 5 minutes of running, it goes away. Today it didnt. only ticks when you push the gas pedal
JA: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no maam. not that smart, haha. i put some Lucas oil treatment in and it seems to help for a month or so. nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Canuck Tech replied 1 month ago.

Hi there - it is possible that there is a lifter issue. If the oil treatment helps, this is good. I would not recommend that you keep adding the oil treatment on a regular basis, without changing the oil, as too many cans of additive would dilute the oil. Before spending the 1200, I would suggest that you have a "smoke test" performed on the exhaust system, to check for any exhaust leaks. A characteristic of a exhaust leak is that it often will go away once the engine has been run for awhile, and the exhaust manifolds and fitting have heated up and expanded. I'm suspicious of an exhaust manifold leak. Obviously. the smoke test would need to be done with the engine cold, so it would need to spend the night at the garage before the smoke test. Hope that helps.Customer/p>