Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

We replaced the alternated and now the car won't start. No

Customer Question

We replaced the alternated and now the car won't start. No dash lights come on except the door and check engine
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on. No flashing
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2003 es300
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replaced the alternator and put a new battery in. It would start before but the alternator was showing that it wasn't charging
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Most likely, the main power fuse has blown. Thsi is common when changing alternaotrs. Is the vehicle available to check it? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is it located?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there?

I have enabled the live phone call you have requested.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello did I lose you?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. I hit that by mistake

ok, no worries. Under the hood (this is a 2003 ES300, correct/), look at the fuse panel lid. Locate the unit listed as 120 A ALT. Look into the base of the unit and see if the fusible wire is broken or separated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I take it out?

Is the fusible wire in the base of the cartridge separated or burnt?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

This fuse cartridge is the problem. However, it does not pull out. Given that all of the power flows thru this fuse, it is bolted to the buss bars inside the fuse panel. The fuse panel will need to be separated so you can access the small bolts that holds the 'legs' of the fuse to the buss bars. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you take the fuse panel apart. If you are not skilled in this (taking the fuse panel apart), you can and will damage it where it hooks together. Removal and separation of the fuse panel is not easy for some people. I urge caution if you want to do this yourself. In any case, the problem you have is the alternator replacement blew the main fuse. Replace it and your should be OK.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is the replacement the 120a flm?

flm?

You need to replace this fuse with an identically rated unit. Anything less will cause it to blow due to over current that a smaller rated fuse would carry.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All I find is a 120a. No 120a alt. Will that work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a 32 volt

120 A will work