Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

2001 Lexus GS300 has now officially entered "limp mode".

Customer Question

Code I got was P1121, which indicates the accelerator pedal position sensor. My confusion starts there. Are there "2" APPS
And exactly where are they located. Also with that code, could it be anything else on the throttle body? I'm getting ready to spend $$$, but I'd prefer less rather then more. Thanks!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin have you got a code reader that can view data ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope, code compliments of AutoZone. I've got: CEL, VSC and VSC OFF warning lights on.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok the code you have is actually refering to throttle pedal my fiirst recommendation is to disconnect multiplug from throttle pedal and contact clean pedal then have codes reset and try if problems persist a new pedal will be needed

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That was one of the first things I did after inspecting wiring for any breaks or shorts. My main concern after researching this for hours, is the possibility of the problem being the Throttle Position Sensor, Throttle Lever Assembly or even the Throttle Motor. Is there any way to test these items with a volt meter?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

This code has no relation at all to the throtttle body only pedal.the pedal has two circuits one runs from 0.5 volts the other from 5-0 they are exactly opposite so is one is on 1 the other is on 4 they meet in the middle at have movenment at 2.5 volts each .as the pedal wears these tracks burn up and the voltage moves outside parameters .this triggers the code you have

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Kevin,
Fair enough. I just needed an expert confirming my guess. I'll go spend some money now with a little more confidence. Thanks!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

No problem please remember to rate my service