Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

I have the 2008 GX470. every time i hit a bump in the road

Customer Question

I have the 2008 GX470. every time i hit a bump in the road it bounces alot. just started happening.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: What is the model of your '08 Lexus?
Customer: 470
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i havent tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just took it to the shop to have it checked out. but would like to know what you think about this problem.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 months ago.

Are you noticing any vibration or noise sensation or is it just really bouncy every time you get a dip or a bump? Do you have the air ride suspension?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just really bouncy. yes i believe it has the air ride suspension. and height control with comfort and sport type rides

Anytime you're dealing with a bouncy ride typically you're dealing with bed shocks or struts. With the air ride suspension it's possible that something has failed in the adjust or ride control system. Normally when that happens you'll have a warning light on the instrument panel. If there have been no warning lights illuminated this is probably strictly mechanical leak in one of the struts or shocks. Let me know what the shop says if you need a second opinion on whether telling you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no warning light. and if it is a leak in one of the struts or shocks, is that very expensive to fix??

Yes it can be fairly expensive struts from Lexus or Toyota are generally about $150 and a couple of hours labor so it could easily go to $400 per strut.