Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

My LXheight control works randomly, some times is ok, but

Customer Question

My LX(###) ###-####height control works randomly, some times is ok, but sometimes it just goes to "OFF". sometimes I manually switch it to "Hi" to lift it, and after the car is lifted or in the process, suddenly (still in Park) it moves to normal and the OFF light turns on.
Is it worth it to repair, or just go straight to changing to a traditional suspension system. I personally do like the height control feature. but, it worthy? could the repair be something partial, or anyway at the end,.. Will it cost more than replacing it with traditional shocks?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Yes these can be not only frustrating but costly to diagnose and repair, especially when they get older. Things are out in the elements and corrode and get contaminated such as the rear height sensors and fittings . the air suspension starts leaking and Ecu start to act up. So you have to determine if it's worth the cost or not, I realize it's a nice feature but at what a cost. You may be ahead of the game ti go to a conventional rear suspension using a upgrade package to accommodate your needs and cut the costs. A few things could be wrong here. There is a fluid self leveling suspension setup in the lx470. There is a fluid pump under the hood on the passenger side top corner mounted to the firewall, It pumps fluid into the shocks and raises and lowers the vehicle when you push the ride height adjustment button. If the pump is out the vehicle will not raise or lower and the off light will flash. Also it could be that the shocks are leaking and have let all of the fluid out of the system which if left for a period of time unchecked will lead to pump failure. There is a fluid reservoir under the hood on top of the pump it is labeled and should be filled between low and high mark with Lexus suspension fluid. It could also be that your ride height sensors are out of adjustment or broken. There are two height sensors behind the front tires near the top they can be adjusted with a 10mm wrench and there is one sensor mounted to the drivers side rear four link on top by the rear end. I would not recommend trying to adjust them yourself because they need to be set exactly to match each other or the computer will think something is wrong with the vehicles suspension and not function. By the sound of your example I would say that Your ride height sensors are broken or out of adjustment. When a sensor malfunction exists the vehicle will not even try to raise or lower because it doesn't know which way to go. Good Luck. You can go to a conventional suspecion up grade to suit your needs . Hope this helps your decision and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.