Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert

I have a 2003 Lexus which is giving me a P430 DTC Code on

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Lexus which is giving me a P430 DTC Code on Bank 2 - Report reads Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 @ 0.00% and Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 at 2.34%
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts and runs fine and gas consumption seems unchanged
JA: What is the model of your '03 Lexus?
Customer: ES 300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Possibly try to fix myself. I have not tried anything - not sure if this is an O2 sensor issue or a catalytic converter. I am wondering if since the Bank2 Sensor reads 0.00% if it simply might be an electrical problem with the sensor. Is it common to have a bad o2 sensor read 0.00%?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 month ago.

99% of the time this is a bad catalytic converter for bank two. If the oxygen sensor was not working the computer would not know how to detect whether the efficiency of the converter was any good. Does your scan tool give you a voltage output of the rear or post catalytic converter oxygen sensor for bank two? If it does monitor that voltage hold the engine RPM at 3000 RPM the voltage should stay around .5 V and slightly rise and fall as you accelerate or did accelerate. If it constantly toggles between .1 V and .9 V then the converter is bad. You need to get the converter and the sensor pretty hot in other words operating temperature preferably drive the vehicle and monitor that sensor voltage.