sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have got a 95 lexus es300 and the alarm has started to go

Customer Question

Hi I have got a 95 lexus es300 and the alarm has started to go off every 30 minutes or so ever since I changed out my instrument panel and sunroof motor. Any suggestions? I think it was when I changed the instrument panel. I kept hearing an electric clicking sound every couple minutes while I was replacing the speedometer and gas gauges.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It was coming from inside the dash. And since then the alarm won't stop giving me problems. It still runs and drives great. It's just after I lock the doors and walk away
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping to fix it myself. I'm just not sure where the security system is located on the car. I've had the car a year and never knew that it had an alarm
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm curious if they think it is a sensor that thought that me disconnecting the gauges for so long thought that I broke in, or maybe I pinched a wire testing the instrument panel multiple times.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just trying to see if anyone has got an idea of what I might be needing to do next
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The most likely cause for the alarm going off on it's own would be activity on a door ajar switch circuit. If you have a bad ajar switch, one of the doors isn't closing correctly or one of the ajar switch circuits short to ground it will cause the alarm to go off if it was armed.

Do the door ajar or interior lights ever come on by themselves?