lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

Electrical draw killing batterys, battery is brand new today

Customer Question

electrical draw killing batterys
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: battery is brand new today using a prob light on unhooked negative cable and light on prob is staying on indicating something is drawing currant
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 1998 es 300
JA: Are you fixing your ES 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes just started testing with prob light on unhooked negative cable prob light is on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i pulled all fuses one at a time and prob light stayed on with every normal fuse
Category: Lexus
Expert:  scionking replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** can I start with some questions to better understand the situation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
U there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i did send payment

Are you able to test this with a multimeter so you can get an actual number on the amperage draw? The initial draw that you are seeing with a test light may be the ECU's remaining on, they should turn off after a set period of time. A test light really shouldn't be used with modern car draw problems, due to some circuits being 5 volts from the ECU, it is possible that the bulb in your light can overdraw an ECU if an ECU circuit was to be tested.