Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I detected a sudden burn smell after i parked the car and

Customer Question

I detected a sudden burn smell after i parked the car and soon discovered that my radio/CD player no longer plays. The cassette player still plays. The nav screen is fine. All of the fuses for the radio are ok. Is the radio gone on this 2008 ES 350
JA: Besides the radio, are any other circuits affected?
Customer: None that I can tell. I drove home fine. It starts up fine. The radio display lights up.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, My husband thinks i should shop online for a radio.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The burn smell did not last long. That's all i can say.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. More than likely, the burning smell you have noticed were several components of the output section of the radio Capacitors). We have noticed over the years a lot of output capacitors failing (caused by an internal short in the capacitor which allows it to get hot and smoke). I would agree with your husband, it is time to consider a replacement for the radio unit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; please confirm you have received my assistance; thanks