sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Radio is popping then cutting off, then back on over and

Customer Question

radio is popping then cutting off, then back on over and over again wont stay on
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: no someone told me if it was a fuse it wouldn't turn on and off it would stay off. but I can check it I guess
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 07 lexus gs350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I'm hoping to fix it myself. just getting started searching on internet for clues. my alternator went out a few weeks ago and all of a sudden all kinds of other issure have arose in the aftermath
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the radio is turning off it's either because of an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it. Usually this would be the radio itself but if there are other electrical issues present at the same time then there may be a loss of power or ground to multiple components. It's going to take some electrical testing to determine the cause of the issue.

What other problems are you having?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'd believe that except if I keep the volume under 30 its fine never cuts off.

That wouldn't change the possible causes for the problem. The problem is either the radio itself or a loss of power or ground to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think it's an amp problem myself but thanks anyways

An amp problem would cause a loss of sound only. If the radio is turning off there is a problem in the radio or a loss of power or ground to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The screen is not turning off just sound whether it's a cd playing or radio.

Your first post said that the radio was turning off.

If you're just losing sound then yes, the problem is with the amp. It is most likely failing and will need to be replaced. Its power and ground feeds need to be tested at the time it won't produce sound and if ok then it can be condemned.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh ok yeah I see how you thought that based on how I worded it. But yeah screen is on navigation is on display is on I guess speakers just pop and radio loses sound then after a few seconds comes back on. I honestly thick it had something to do with the alternator going out it cause multiple electrical problems minor but still dealing with the after math dam Japanese. Lol thanks for your help.

You're welcome and good luck with it!