sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My check engine light along with a car with lines behind it

Customer Question

My check engine light along with a car with lines behind it I think t is the vsc
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on, it just came on today
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: I am sorry the slip indicator
JA: What year is your Lexus?
Customer: 2011 RX350
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It rained alot today
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, the car was sitting in a lot with lots of water
Category: Lexus
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

hi im david, take your car to advance auto, they will scan the computer and read the codes.... have them erase the codes and the check engine light will go off and once you start driving the vsc light should go off also. i just think its because all the rain and maybe a little tire slippage. let me know how that turns out. make note what codes come up when they scan it. i think they will both be related and shouldnt be anything to concerning

do you still need assistance?

hello??

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

These warning lights are on because the respective modules have seen a failure in a component or system and set a fault code. If the stability control light came on at the same time then odds are the problems are related. The stability control system relies on the ability to request engine torque so an engine related issue can turn that warning light on. Electronic throttle control related problems commonly cause both of these lights to come on together.

If the lights are on then there is a current problem that needs to be repaired, it will not be a matter of clearing the codes. The stability control light, as with any other ABS or airbag system light, is on when there is an active problem and goes off as soon as the problem is not present.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there.