Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Looking to buy a 2005 lexus gx470 with 72,000 mil fully

Customer Question

looking to buy a 2005 lexus gx470 with 72,000 mil fully loaded for 18,000 from private seller so no sale tax just a little nervous about that money for a 12 yr old car , its on auto trader comes up private seller , i also like a 2008 gx with 81,000 mil for 20,000 ,tell me what you think
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your (soon to be) GX470

How long do you plan on keeping this vehicle?

Will this purchase be easy on your wallet and not leave you struggling to keep payments?

I know these may seem like weird questions but just trying to help give a better answer to your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
keeping until it dies , would pay it off in full

I see. The difference in the vehicles basically comes down to which one (color,Options etc) you like better then. I say this because as far as mechanical issues go, these are solid performers with little to no needed repairs besides brakes, tires and normal services like oil changes.

Just looking at the Blue Book values go, the 2008 GX is more in line with whats being asked for with regard to price whereas the 2005 asking price is about $4,000 to high. Just keep in mind that either one will be a great decision for you, it's just that you need to get the one you like best at the best price. That being said, I would go with the 2008 one just becuase it's closer to the blue book price.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the difference in mil doesnt matter , at what millage does things start going wrong on those yrs

Brakes and tires around every 45,000 miles. Timing belt and water pump around 90,000 miles. Then it's just the normal items like filters, oil changes and tune ups on normal schedule. The good thing, if you want to save more money is that a Toyota Dealer can service this GX470 for much less that a Lexus Dealer. That engine/transmission combo was used in the Tundra, Sequoia and Landcruiser for quite a few years.

If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i get the 2008 i should tell them that ill need a water pump soon to take the price off , what would you pay for the 2008 gx fully loade

The book price is around $18,800 depending on Excellent condition, so I would start there. The timing belt/waterpump job will run about $700 ballpark(prices vary by Dealer vs. Independent and area of the country you live). Given that $18,000 even would be in that arena. Now whether they take an offer like this will also depend on what they have into it, price wise.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thanks im leaning towards the 08 cause of your opinion , do you think the gx is a good reliable car/truck , the toyota land cruiser is so expensive for same yr

Yes it is, just consider the cousin to the LandCruiser except that your not paying a whole bunch of money for it. I am confident that you will not regret this purchase. I'm just a bit jelly. :)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks i hope not , just looking for a reliable nice luxury suv just nervous because of the yr and $$$

I can understand your apprehension. Just keep in mind that if either of these are not within your comfort zone as far as price and exactly what you want then just walk away. There no need to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.

I just wanted to follow up and see how you liked the new purchase.