Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

Car will not shift out of park and power locks work, but

Customer Question

car will not shift out of park and power locks work, but power windows do not
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: i have not checkied brake lights and i do not ave a machine to to check for codes
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 1993l exus sc400
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i just bought this car...when i bought it it had no interior door panels. the power window buttons were clamped to the door, but they worked. I bought to door panels on craigslsit and now windows do not go up and down.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i would like to try to fix it myself. When i parked the car in my garage yesterday it shifted fine. After working on door panels and chagning out the radio/climate control it does not shift out of park
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The two problem you are describing are not likely related so lets start with working on the shiftier concern. The shiftier is controlled by the shift lock with the signal from the break light switch. Can you check and see if you have break lights and post back with this and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok be back in a few minutes
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i just checked i do have brake lights...i had the center console area apart i wonder if i did not reconnect something that would cause this issue
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

If you have the console apart then yes its likely something may have been disconnected. That being said there are 3 fuse that can effect the shift lock. Since the break light are working then that fuse is okay so lets check the other two, both are in the interior fuse panel. Check the CIG fuse (15 AMP) and the ECU-IG fuse (15 AMP) . If the check okay then you are going to need to go back in and check the signal at the shifter . Are you able to do this if I provide the steps and the fuse check okay?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay start with making sure the other two fuse check okay and if so recheck the signal at the shift lockk switches. See the steps to do this in the first link and I have also enclosed the wiring diagram in the second link for testing reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Shift%20lock%20test%20Aug%2016.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Shift%20lock%20wiring%20Aug%2016.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i checked the fuses and they are in good shape. When I reopened the center console and looked in by the shifter i saw a plastic white connector that was not attached to anything it has 7 spaces across the top row the bottom row has to spaces an open area and then to more spaces. Any idea if this needs to be connected anything?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The shift lock assembly only has the wiring shown in the wiring diagram I sent you , are all these wires connected?