Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Possible remote starter issue, All the vehicle accessory's

Customer Question

Possible remote starter issue, All the vehicle accessory's stay on even with the key removed and the engine off. It is as if the car thinks the key is in the ignition and turned. Could a remote starter cause this ? and can I disable it.
Everything works as if the car is on. Dash board lights stay on, I can step on the break and move the shiftier to drive , use power windows locks ect...
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, and allowing me to assist you. sorry to hear about your problem but with your help maybe we can isolate the problem. You said you have a remote starter? Is it factory or after market?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's part of the question i have. I bought the car used 10 years ago and never knew if it had one or not. A bad remote starter is the only think of that could cause everything to work like this. I have replaced the BCM, the ignition switch and every relay I could find. I have the low part of the dash board apart and can't find a remote starter BCU. Which brings me to the experts. Do you think a remote starter would cause this is so help me find it or how should I proceed ?

Yes a bad remote starter or theft deterrent especially aftermarket is a common problem we ru into often if not ill installed the mogul shorts out, they usually cause more problems then good down the road.unfortunately if it's aftermarket without a wiring schematic it can be tricky for the layman to disconnect so I recommend take it to a service center or dealer to do so. Taking it out wrong can do more harm so be careful.hope this sheds some light on your problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car is old and I can't justify taking it to the dealer. If I can't fix it. The car i be junked or sold cheap. That being said can you tell me how to check and see if it has an OEM remote starter

sure, do you have any extra fobs that don't look like original Toyota fobs if so it's after market.

If you don't have any extra fobs just pull the kick panel off on the driver'sside under dash area that's where they usually hide the wire mess.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed the drivers side kick panel and the passenger side panel to searched for any signs of splicing and wires. I even removed the fuse box to look behind it. I didn't find anything. From what I've seen on the web if there was an after market remote start installed It would be obvious. What about a factory remote starer, where would that be ? Attached is a photo of the under dash on the drivers side

The remote starter wiring will passably be under the steering column cover plate. if not then it's probably factory installed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I removed the cover from the steering column it looks factory no extra wires.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where would the control module be for a factory remote starter/ how can I disable it ?

The modal is behind the glove box but the wires run behind the dash and I don't think you want to go there , I would recommend a shop job. can you send a picture ofthe wiring under the steering column especially the connectors/ BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE UNIT AND RECONNECT THE ORIGINAL WIRE S BACK TOGETHER. iF YOU DO IT WRONG YOU CAN DAMAGE OTHER COMPONENTS.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Peter, I was unable to find the module you show in the attachment. I wont be able to look at the car again for a day or two please be patient I will rate you you well. Also just an FYI the key ignition is on the dash not the steering column.

OK regardless the wiring for the remote starter will be spliced into the ingnitio wiring so thats where you have to look and dissconect.