Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Was driving home and water temp warning came on and I put

Customer Question

Was driving home and water temp warning came on and I put heat on to try to get a couple more miles home. But shortly thereafter car completely stopped. Towed to dealership that called today to say have to replace transmission. Car is rx400h with 85,000 miles. Why wouldn't a transmission warning come on if that's the issue. Also didn't blow steam just stopped. Thanks. Sam
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Not aware. But there was no greenish liquid under the car ever in driveway, if that's the coolant color.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2006. Rx400h hybrid type
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just had it towed to lexus. Not really anything i can fix.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. But never got transmission warning just the water temperature warning before it stopped. Dont know if they are interconnected or not. Thanks.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanx for using just answer. May I help you. first things first sorry to hear of your problem Lexus cars are usually trouble free cars, does your car have a temperature gauge as well as the warning light? Did the gauge read high when the light came on? what as the reason the deer gave you why the transmission needed to be replaced ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No warning other than "water temperature" on the digital screen. No lights came on until the car completely stopped moving
Then it seem like the all came on. No trasmission light came on. Upon the water temp warning, i turned the heat on and drove slower to try to get a couple more miles home. A couple of minutes later it stopped 100%. Had it towed to lexus dealer and they informed me that the transmission is totally gone. Is it possible from a water temp issue to ruin a trasmission?? Car never over heated in the traditional sense, where its smoking/streaming off.
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

OK that's pretty vague what they told you about the transmission were the gears striped ? slipping?trans fluid discolored? if the transmission was slipping for what ever reason that could cause over heating. did your coolant go down or get discolored? Then the cooler line could have broke inside the rad and contaminated he trans fluid. So without knowing what they found in the transmission I'm just guessing. But that's my educated guess with this information. Hope this helps.