Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics

I got in my 2004 RX 330 Lexus this morning and the VSC light

Customer Question

I got in my 2004 RX 330 Lexus this morning and the VSC light and check engine light came on and won't turn off. I checked the gas cap as recommended and it was not tightened all the way. I tightened it, turned the car off and restarted it and the lights are still on. Not sure what to think. Any ideas what it could be?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It has stayed on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to. Just tightened the cap and read the owners manual about what the lights mean.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I drive a lot for work and am worried to be on the road this week with major issues
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you know when I can expect to get a response back regarding this issue?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the fuel cap was loose, this very well could be the problem. After tightening the fuel cap, and if this is in fact the problem, the vehicle needs to be driven roughly 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving (aka "a Drive Cycle") before the on-board computer will recognize the cap is now sealing the system correctly. It's not an instantaneous thing immediately after tightening the cap. It's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle with these lights on, so put some miles and see if the light clears. If the light does not clear, then we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") that are stored in the computer. These p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem, and from there, the correct repair can be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing, and rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.