Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

2004 Lexus RX330, A/C stopped working, it was working

Customer Question

2004 Lexus RX330, A/C stopped working, it was working yesterday. Compressor will not engage, radiator fans do not turn on. Do I have a relay issue?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First, may I ask a few questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, go ahead

When you say the radiator fans do not work, do you mean that they don't come on when you run the a/c or they don't come on at all, causing the engine to overheat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They do not come on when A/C is turned on. They work. No overheat
As I understand, when A/C is turned on radiator fans should be on

That is absolutely correct, I just wanted to make sure that the only condition under which they did not come on was with a/c on. A faulty fan can cause the a/c not to work as well so I wanted to get that out of the way...I am going to look up some relays and fuses for you to check and then run through some scenarios with you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not believe I have a leak issue since the A/C clutch does not engage at all, unless I have big leak in a sudden

I would agree on the likelihood of a leak being low, though it is possible...I have found the location of the fuse for the clutch relay so is in the instrument panel fuse box (inside the car) I have attached a picture and it is the fuse labeled "heater" and it is 7.5 amp...the most likely scenario is that this has blown. If this fuse blows, it will cause the compressor not to engage and cause the fan not to come on with the a/c turned on. Are you in a position to check this now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Checked. The fuse is good.

Ok, lets go after the a/c clutch relay

Ok, in this next picture, please go inside the relay box labeled "J/B II". You are looking for a section that has 2 relays alone. One is for the daytime running lights and the other is the a/c relay. Swap those two relays and try again to check the a/c operation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How to open the relay relay box J/B II, I can open the fuse box and top relay box no problem.

Ok, after looking into this one a little bit more, it seems that the relay for the a/c clutch on this model is buried under the other boxes and may not even be serviceable (thanks, Lexus). At this point, it may become difficult to help you using this medium and you may need to visit a shop for proper a/c diagnostics. I will opt out as I am unable to answer your question adequately but I do suggest that you take it in to have it properly diagnosed. I am sorry I couldn't help you any further .