sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2002 es300 turn key on all lights and gauges come on.

Customer Question

My 2002 es300 turn key on all lights and gauges come on. Turn key to start everything goes off doesn't click or anything. We checked battery, wires, cable ends, and starter. Any suggestions
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 4 months ago.

I would like to help. When you say you checked the starter, how was it checked? Has any work been performed recently other than what has been done in the description.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We took it off and checked it.It was sluggish for a couple of days starting. Then I stopped at a place went back out and wouldn't start. If you turn key on everything lights up including head lights on everything. Turn it on over to start everything including the clock goes out and it doesn't even click or anything

I really think that the starter is still the issue. When you checked the starter do you mean that you had it checked on a bench tester at a parts store? Are you wanting to perform the repair yourself or have a technician perform the repair?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On a bench tester

I think we need to try and turn the motor over by hand to see if the engine is seized or not. Can you access the crank pulley bolt? If you can and if you can get a socket wrench on it, turn the crank pulley clockwise to see if the engine moves. If it does, move let me know. If it doesn't move then the engine is seized and it will need a new engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try that in the morning but it was running fine when I stopped at the restaurant when it wouldn't start back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it isn't seized you think it is starter?

Thanks for the clarification. I really don't think that the engine is seized. I really do think it is the starter. There may be a hard spot in the armature of the starter that just makes it fail intermittently. In fact I am confident that it is the starter.

Do you need instructions on how to replace the starter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No but I appreciate it I had it off today. I mean everything windows dash everything is on bright until you turn the key on forward you hear nothing no clicking or anything and everything goes off. I will replace it if you think that is it and go from there

I think replacing it will be your best option at this point. The lights turn off so that all available voltage can be sent to the starter. In fact the Starter motor itself is probably okay but the starter solenoid could be bad, that's why you don't hear a click. I am happy to hang in with you tomorrow if you want? Be glad to help. Otherwise, please rate my service.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wasn't the starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm open to suggestions lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you not get the starter wasn't it.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have sent the messages telling him it wasn't the starter. Yes it is still not running.

How were the battery and connections checked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Taken loose cleaned and tightened

How was the battery checked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just by the battery tester and load and Ali tested good. I thought might have a broke post inside battery just don't know
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do know there is juice getting to the starter

Your first post said the car goes electrically dead when the key is turned to the crank position. That's not correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is correct all light and everything goes off and it does even click or anything.

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the big one at a garage I am using

Do you have a set of known good jumper cables?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also have a big booster box with both it still does the same time.

It's going to take electrical testing to determine what is going on, there is voltage drop in a cable or connection somewhere. As a last resort without testing you can try connecting a jumper cable from the battery negative post to a grounded chassis part or an unpainted metal part on the engine and see if that allows cranking, if so then the problem is on the ground side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you think in wiring between battery and starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could it be security related

It's not a security issue. If the vehicle goes electrically dead it's because battery voltage is being lost due to the battery, a cable or connection issue.