My '04 ES330 (135K miles)died yesterday. Symptom while

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: my '04 ES330 (135K miles)died yesterday. Symptom while driving was that my battery indicator light appeared with no other symptom in behavior. Commuted & Completed my appointment. An hour later (to drive home) started car fine, battery indicator still on during idle, now airbag indicator appeared. Figured I better get it home. While puling out of parking lot, all dash lights blink on & off and then go out, AC quit blowing, windows roll down intermittently, drove to dealership (barely navigating traffic, hesitating, shifting weird "auto trani") They replace alternater, load test battery, and tell my there is trani shift/clunk present (never had that before). Limped home with trani problem, not going into gear properly and wonder if something electrical occurred during failure. Fluid up to par. Can you help?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, why for trani issue?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fix myself, unsure where to begin
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: burning smell after alternator replaced
Category: Lexus
Expert:  scionking replied 2 months ago.

On the paper work from the dealer does it state anything about resetting transmission computer? When this alternator failure occurred it may have effected the learned value of the transmission computer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No resetting notated.

I would contact the dealer manager, you obviousness spent some money with them for the repair, and the vehicle left not functioning properly. A simple reset of the computer should take them less than a minute to do with there computer( If I was working on the car I would have done this for good measure if i had noticed a shifting problem). They could also check is there is any updates to you computers program, these they can download to the transmission computer.

There also is the possibility of a loose ground wire to the transmission/engine, that could have caused the whole problem, and could be causing your current issue as well. Is this something you feel comfortable checking your self?

Hello, just wanted to check in with you, I haven't heard anything from you so I wanted to see if you still need assistance with this issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, seems to be beyond my expertise. Dealer says 2nd gear & torque converter are fried. New trani suggested. I'm getting 2nd opinion tomorrow from reputable trani shop. Thanks for your help.

That sounds extreme to me, your right in getting a second opinion. Did they happen to try resetting transmission computer? I find it hard to believe that a transmission fried in the matter of a day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I asked them if they had, he danced and weaved and avoided it. Therefore 2nd opinion..

Any luck with a second opinion, I'm curious what was recommended by them.

Still waiting to hear back from you? Do you need any further assistance with your vehicle?