john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech Ase Certified
6149662

I REPLACED BREAK LIGHT IN MY 2004 GS LEXUS, ALL LIGHTS ARE

Customer Question

I REPLACED BREAK LIGHT IN MY 2004 GS LEXUS, ALL LIGHTS ARE NOW WORKING BUT MY REAR LIGHTFAILURE WARNING LIGHT STILL COMES ON
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? Does the light stay on steady or is it intermittent?
Customer: NO I HAVE NOT CHECKED THE BRAKE FLUID AND IT STAYS ON STEADY
JA: What is the model of your '04 Lexus?
Customer: ITS A 2004 GS 300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: HAD NOT THOUGHT ABOUT FIXING IT MYSELF. THE ONLY THING I'VE DONE SO FAR IS HAVE THE BULBS REPLACED.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO, THAT'S IT, OTHER THAN NOT HAVEN'T CHECKED THE BRAKE FLUID YET. IS THAT A POSSIBLITY?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

it is likely that a "wrong" bulb was installed.

There are MANY automotive bulbs....they are all a little different, some bulbs have the SAME connector/fitting and will fit in many different cars but have different #'s because they have a different power rating....does that make sense? So for example lets say you have 2 brake bulbs- they BOTH power up and work in the same socket but one has a 1 amp rating but the other one has a 3 amp rating- this causes a indicator light to come on because 1 bulb is different. Make sense? So yes the bulb will work but it will also register a failure in the controller.

Yes it "resets" every time you remove the key from the ignition. To test to see if the problem is "fixed" you have to cycle the key and retest, you cannot just plug in different bulbs while watching the failure indicator. In other words let's say I have a blown bulb....I have the car on and the indicator is on....I replace the bulb while the car is on the new bulb works....the indicator will remain ON until I cycle the key.....I cycle the key and the system rechecks and now the indicator is off. Good?

19 May 20

is there anything else i can do for you>?

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!