Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

When I turn on the air conditioner the dial has to be turned

Customer Question

When I turn on the air conditioner the dial has to be turned to cold to cool, any other position the heater comes on
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: It worked find yesterday put a new stereo in and then picked it up and ut changed, no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2001, lx470
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a shop manual and yes most things I can do. Nothing so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I stopped by my local guy and he said it might be a flipper motor
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay, what is the answer?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be a fault with the hot/cold actuator moving the hot/cold door in the heater box incorrectly with this actuator needing replaced.I have also seen issues with the heater controller on the dash cause this fault.If you can tell me if this has the AUTO temp settings where you can set the inside temp or the manual this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete