lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

The check engine and trac off lights are on in my 99 es300.

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I'm Rodger the check engine and trac off lights are on in my 99 es300. I changed my gas cap and the lights remain on. I havestRt the car about four times since the cap change. The car seems to run fine. A code came up camshaft sensor. What's next?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It's constant
JA: What year is your E430?
Customer: 99 es300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just gas cap
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Only that the code were cleared before , New cap and lights came on again
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. While the gas cap is the most common cause of the Check Engine Light coming on, it is only one possibility of at least 100 different issues. The solution to this issue is through diagnosis. The check engine light comes on for a reason. The reason that the light comes on is because there is a problem in one of the electrical circuits or the sensors. When the light is on, a 'code' is stored. The way to obtain the code is via a scan. Most auto parts stores offer this service for free (so they can sell you their parts). The results of the scan will indicate exactly what circuit or sensor is involved. If you can get the code (or codes), the solution is usually easy to arrive at. Indiscriminate replacement of parts can and will be expensive, and installing said parts may not fix the problem. The recommendation on thsi request is in two parts. 1) get the car scanned, and provide the results back into this chat window and, 2) once we have the code(s) we can direct you in the correct method to eliminating the issue.