Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I got a good one ... i have a 1996 lexus ls400 that wouldn't

Customer Question

hi,i got a good one for you... i have a 1996 lexus ls400 that wouldn't start but if you spray engine start it would run for a few seconds so we replaced the fuel pump. car wouldn't start even with fuel pressure (i checked on the fuel hose). i disconnected the battery and connected it back and it still didn't start. i tried the next day and it started but with engine codes.P1305 #2 , P0110 , P0100. but it runs with no misfire,runs good.
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 172000, i just bought it 1 month ago so i got no info except what i've done
JA: What is the model of your '170000 Lexus?
Customer: 1996 ls400
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i had the valve cover gaskets changed and oil. oh, and the fuel pump and relay
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: just that it runs great but then it wouldn't start like if had no fuel but sometimes you disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it would start and run good for a few days and then a no start again.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So you have spark but no injector pulse and it's throwing codes for igniter and mass airflow.These cars had a lot of trouble with the ecu. I bet if you open it up you will find corrosion. Check it out and if you do you need a new ecm.Let me know what you find or if you have any questions.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ty sonny i'll check that..
Thanks. Let me know what you find and I'll continue to help
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it's located in then glovebox right?
Yea basically. :-)
Did you get a chance to look at the ecm yet? If so how'd it look?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not yet, that's the project for tomorrow, lol... Ty
That's fine. Just let me know how it goes. :-)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning. I removed the computer and opened it. I don't see any corrosion. All the connectors are clean. I looked inside the computer and I don't see any burn marks or leaking diodes. Is there a way to get it checked or any other suggestions? Thanks for your help. Lionel
Ok I'll have to look some things up. Give me a bit.
Ok so replace your efi relay and circuit open relay.
I doubt that's your problem. I'm pretty sure it's the computer. If you have spark but no injector pulse then it's most likely the computer not sending ground to your injectors.
But just for kicks, test the injector wires for power When it's not working. They get there power from the ignition switch. Then the computer pulses the ground.
also use a noid light and check for injector pulse when it's not starting. If you don't have a noid light you can rent them from autozone and maybe advance auto.
Let me know if it has injector pulse when not starting.
I've included the wiring diagram incase you want it for the injectors.