Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

Battery died and when we jumped the car (GS 350 08) the VSC

Customer Question

Battery died and when we jumped the car (GS 350 08) the VSC check engine light is now on. Car seems to be running good is this just a glitch from the battery dying?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What year is your GS 350?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, just happened about an hour ago. Went to dealer for service and they left my lights in the on position instead of auto, did not realize this so the battery died.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, other than they did a 100,000 mile checkup at dealer. . .
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

This very well could be the result of the battery dying. If so, the vehicle will need to be driven roughly 50-75 miles of combined city and highway driving (known as a :Drive Cycle"). If by this time the lights have not cleared themselves, the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") will need to be scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes are the starting point for the diagnosis of the problem and will point to the part/sensor that has the problem. From there, the correct repair can then be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

If there were any other questions you had on this, or there was something I missed in my answer that you were hoping to have addressed, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!