Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.

My 2004 lexus gx470 stopped moving when i parked & engine

Customer Question

hi, my 2004 lexus gx470 stopped moving when i parked for emergency & engine starts & revs but it wont move on R or D
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: i did not check fuses, i have auto moonroof & auto driving wheel fuse removed last year as moonroof had smoke coming out when my niece upped the temp to 99
JA: What is the model of your '04 Lexus?
Customer: gx 470
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: iam about to change filter & refill transmission fluid
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

From the sounds of it it unfortunately is sounds like the transmission has failed. It will not hurt to at least try changing the trans fluid and filter but it may not work if in fact the transmission has failed. Another thing you should do is to scan the computer system to see if there are any transmission fault codes setting which there should be if the problem is an electronic control issue. If after doing this and changing the fluid and there are no codes and the transmission still will not engage then sadly that means it has failed internally. Sorry to say this is not good news nor a good new answer but I suspect I am right.