Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

I am getting a P0430 OBD Code on my 2002 GS300, does that

Customer Question

I am getting a P0430 OBD Code on my 2002 GS300, does that mean I have to replace the cat converter?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: I have re-set it but after like a month it comes back on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I plan to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the P0430 is a fairly straight forward code, and a fairly common problem. This code points to a failing Catalytic Converter (for Bank2). The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0430 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more prodominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0430. On this vehicle, the "correct" Converter is built into the exhaust manifold, which is a 1-piece design. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!