Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a 1999 Lexus RX300. This morning on my commute to

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Lexus RX300. This morning on my commute to work, I heard a tearing noise and my car stopped functioning. All of my gears ceased to operate. Then the engine light came on. What could the problem be?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It is most likely damaged inside the transmission itself.

It could be a broken axle, depending on which one. Hard to say without a visual inspection under the car. This would cause more a of clunking noise.

A tear noise like you describe is most likely the trans. Especially since it stopped moving. The shop will need to remove the transmission pan and look for metal debris.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. Please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan