Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Drove 400 miles; temperature gauge on my Lexus was in red.

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Lexus RX350 that has less than 1,000 miles on it. I drove about 400 miles today and if the temperature gauge was almost in the red. What should I do? I am 176.46 miles from the closes Lexus dealer. I could see the coolant. It is about an inch from the top.
I would like to have a professional look at it before I drive it anywhere. I do not plan to fix it myself unless I just have to add coolant
I was planning on starting to drive to WI tomorrow and this is my 1st stop from Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the temperature is going into the red, you may have one of the following problems:

1) loose or faulty radiator cap

2) low coolant (check this when the engine is cold)

3) faulty or intermittent cooling fan operation

4) faulty temperature sensors

5) a combination of the above

it would be strongly recommended that you get this checked. Most Lexus dealers will come to where you are and pick the car up for you. Not all of them, but most of them. If the nearest Lexus dealer will not come to get it, go to a Toyota dealer. They have the same test equipment that Lexus has and they can isolate the problem for you, and determine if it is safe to travel the distance to the Lexus dealer. I would NOT recommend driving the vehicle with the temperature in the red zone; engine damage could occur and this may leave you stranded on the side of the road. If a Toyota dealer is not available, call the nearest Lexus dealer and ask them to have it towed for you. The Lexus warranty will cover the cost of the tow.