sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with just under 100k miles. This

Customer Question

Hi - I have a 2005 Lexus GX470 with just under 100k miles. This week I started the car and it developed a high pitch whine noise that varies with acceleration. The car seems to drive find - just with the new noise. Its not overpowering, but certainly noticeable.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: the transmission is original to the car, so going on 11 years. I've not checked anything yet - was just doing some due diligence online before I take it to a local service shop
JA: What is the model of your '05 Lexus?
Customer: GX470
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not expecting to fix it myself. I've just had a different issue with the car in the past where I got two different diagnosis from 2 different shops so I was just curious to see if its a common problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Lexus
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

typically a whining noise that varies with acceleration and deceleration is transmission fluid pump related, but without being able to hear the noise myself, its kind of hard to determine. it could be drivetrain related i.e. wheelbearings, driveshaft, or even tires

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

An actual whine noise that is throttle sensitive is almost surely coming from an incorrect contact pattern between ring and pinion gears in the rear differential. This would require replacement of the gear set. Pinion bearings will cause a growling noise that is throttle sensitive, wheel bearing noise will change or come and go when swerving.

Are there any performance issues or warning lights coming on?