Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Engine running good on freeway about 65 miles an hour engine

Customer Question

Engine running good on freeway about 65 miles an hour engine light comes on engine shuts off like if fuel gets cut off
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

if you're getting a check engine light then by far the easist route to repair is to plug in a scan tool to read off the code, that is unless the light is extinguished when you try and restart?

from your description I'd say its likely to be an issue with the crank position or cam position sensor thats failing intermittently

these often will work fine when its all cold but then fail once the engine bay is hot

so I'd try to get a code 1st and if you can't then check over the wiring to both sensors for damage and corrosion and if OK then consider replacing the crank sensor 1st

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Code given po2112
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

thanks for that - that code is indicating the throttle is stuck shut?

as its an electrically driven part I'd 1st try removing the air intake pipe and use some brake cleaner and lint free cloth to remove any residue and see if it moves freely by hand ( with the ignition off)

if its at all stiff then it should be replaced

also check over the wiring to the throttle body for damage / corroded joints

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I clean the trodle body before this problem
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

and how does the throttle feel when moved by hand?

any grittyness?

if it was OK then check over the wiring and it may still need replacing, if it was clogged up for a long time before cleaning as the motor can then burn out

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you