david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 330's ac drain is working outside the car correctly but

Customer Question

my 330's ac drain is working outside the car correctly but my passenger front and rear carpet is wt
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.May I ask, do you have a sunroof? If so is it only wet after a rain storm? Or is it wet after using the AC?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a sunroof and it is wet after using the ac
Ok. So if it's only after using the AC, it is most likely that the drain is partially clogged. The best thing to try is stick a wire up the drain hole and see if it's clogged at all. If it is and you were recently using the AC a lot of water will come out.Try that first.Let me know what happens.Thanks
Sonny.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried to clear with a wire and with the air on it didn't really change the flow of water coming out of the drain it was a steady drip, drip drip about the same flow as my Yukon produced when I ran it beside the Lexus
Ok. Let me look into a few things. Give me about 30 min.
One other quick question, you don't have a loss of coolant do you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no loss of coolant
Ok. I figured. But had to ask
Ok so the only thing that can cause it is a plugged drain or a cracked box. But if the wire and air didn't work. The only other option is to remove the evaporator and clean the box and fix any cracks it may have.
But I'll opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
these were my thoughts also and will see if any other thoughts are out there that I can try thanks
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im Dave, the only things that will cause the carpet to get wet. 1. clogged ac drain 2. broken hvac box on the firewall, holes in the floorpans, leaks in the door seals, bad heater core, bad evaporator. if its only when using the ac then we can rule out the heatercore, holes in floor, door seals. since the ac is working then we can rule out the evaporator. we are left with the hvac box and clogged drain tube. thats it. nothing else is possible

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the best way to fix the hvac box seal

first of all you will need to remove the entire hvac box form the firewall to locate the leak, which entails removing the entire instrument panel to access the box. once that is done then depending on what is causing the leak will determine how you go about fixing/repairing the cause

this job is not for the faint of heart or the novice repairman

please leave a rating