Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics

VCS System Light came on while driving to work this morning.

Customer Question

VCS System Light came on while driving to work this morning. What exactly does this mean. Vehicle is not idling rough or anything. It states to take to dealership. Is this a break issue, how concerned should I be?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the spark plugs?
Customer: over 100,000. Just had the engine oil changed this weekend, no issues with spark plugs that I am aware of. Need to rear breaks replaced. Is it an engine issue or a brake issue? There is the icon that looks like brake issue with the squiggly lines (like you could experience brake issues).
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: I believe it is 2009 - LS460
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet - trying to figure out what the issue is. Need to find out if my husband needs to drive downtown to get vehicle to take it in to be looked at,
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of. Just need to know what the VSC system pertains to. Does it affect the brakes, spark plugs, engine?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

The VSC light is the "Vehicle Stability Control". The VSC system helps prevent the vehicle from slipping sideways as a result of strong front or rear wheel skid during cornering. When the VSC warning light is set, it means there is a problem somewhere in the system, and the VSC is now unavailable. Unfortunately, there is no 1-answer, "it's this..." type of answer here. There are literally dozens of parts and sensors in the system. This can be anything from a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor (one at each wheel) to a faulty Acceleration Sensor to a problem with the VSC Control Module and anything in between. At this point, the Diagnostic Trouble Codes will need to be scanned from the on-board computer. These trouble codes will point to the part or sensor that has the problem and from there, the correct repair can be made. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone will have the correct scan-tool to read those trouble codes. If you can find a location with the correct scan-tool, they will read the codes for Free (except in California). If you cannot find a store to scan the codes, then a shop will be needed. In the meantime... it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. Only drawback here, is you will not have the added safety of the VSC system, so just use a little extra caution in inclement weather conditions. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

If you have any questions, or there was something I missed in my answer that you wanted addressed, please feel free to ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hi! Ron Z again. I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!