Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.

The issue is: car will start and idle. Will not take fuel

Customer Question

The issue is: car will start and idle. Will not take fuel when the accelerator is depressed. Sometimes it will run good for 10 to 15 seconds and then shuts down again. The code reader that I used indicated a lean mixture on AF sensor 1, bank 1.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 3Liter. 290,000 miles on car. this is the second engine, unknown miles on it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2000 RX300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I will do the repair. I have not done anything yet except use a code reader.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I,m not sure.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you setting a lean code the first thing you need to do is to install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal pressure on a properly working fuel pump should be right at 44 to 50 PSI. Anything less the 44 PSI would indicate you have a failing fuel pump. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.