spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Dealership experience with two manufactures

2007 rx400 overheating, I noticed 2 coolant reservoirs. One

Customer Question

2007 rx400 overheating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I noticed 2 coolant reservoirs. One directly behind the radiator. The other on top of the Hybrid cover. There seems to be coolant blown onto the bottom of the hood near the latch. The fluid level in the reservoir near the radiator is not visible and I did not see a "full" line. So I'm guessing it is in that system.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I turned the car off. No, I'm not hoping to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I had driven only 2 miles when the light came on. This is the first time this has ever happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  spoooolin replied 3 months ago.

Sorry you are having issues with the Lexus hybrid, most of the time these cars are pretty stress free.

This vehicle has two separate cooling systems. One for the engine and the other for the hybrid system to cool the inverter. Both take the same kind of coolant.

The coolant tank you are describing that is empty is the engine side of the cooling system. The Most common and really only coolant leak I ever see on these cars is the engine water pump. Its one of the few items still ran off of a drive belt on a Hybrid car. Once the water pump leaks, and hits the drive belt, coolant can get sent every direction under the hood.

when you say you drove 2 miles before the light came on, was it the light telling you low coolant?

Please let me know what other questions you have!

Thank you!