Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 lexus es300 the dashboard lights flash on and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 lexus es300 the dashboard lights flash on and off when Im driving and when I get home it may not start again. The lexus dealership said it needs a new starter, but I disagree due to all the gauges start going crazy and the radio cuts off when Im driving and thats no sign of a bad starter. A second shop told me the starter,battery and alternator was good "new alternator was put in a few months ago" and they did not know what the problem was, but like I said when Im driving "highway or main streets" all my gauges start going crazy and my radio goes off and everything may stay off then comes back on and then when I turn the car off and get back in the car it might not start. Yesterday when it dnt start I turned the key and no dashboard lights came on like it wsnt getting any power, but when I mash down on the brake pedal the dashboard lights came on and the car stared up. Can you tell me what you think is going on?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Sorry about the long delay. I believe I can help on this concern if you are still wanting/needing help

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i need a answer

I have some educated guesses as to what this is but guessing is like the lottery. I would feel much better diagnosing this with you if you can do that. All we would need is a test light or volt meter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok how can we do that?

The first thing we need to do is check the fuses for the instrument cluster and the radio to see if they have power when they are not working. Your radio is it 1 or 5 CD and does it have navigation and does it have the Mark Levinson feature?

Key on, instrument cluster dead check these fuses:

• under the hood IG2 should have power
  • under the dash GAUGE1 and ECUB should have power

Let me know those results.

If you're confused on what to do now. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont know anything about a car except for the same basic stuff.Everything you said was like reading a chinese dictionary I need some basic diagnostics so I can take to a shop and have them check that pacific problem.The Lexus Dealership said it was a starter, but I know a starter dnt make the dashboard light up and makes everything cut off. I took it to Express auto and they could not find anything wrong at all.The battery is good,the starter is good and the alternator is good so Im still lost and dnt know what is wrong.

Can you ell me what kind of radio you have?

Are you wanting information to take to a shop and have them check those things during the failure?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a kenwood cd/tv /dvd player and yes I would like info to take to a shop to get fix because dnt nobody seems to know what it is

Can you have a shop check these things?

Key on, with the instrument cluster dead check these fuses:

• under the hood IG2 should have power

Let me know those results.

It looks like you have an aftermarket radio, is that correct?

More than likely this is going to be a wiring issue associated with a circuit losing power or a ground connection making poor connection.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks I will let u know

Super