Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I haven an 01 Lexus Rx300. I have rough starts sometimes.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I haven an 01 Lexus Rx300. I have rough starts sometimes. Which sounded to me like the engine wasn't getting enough fuel initially. I just hooked up a fuel pressure test, and found that when I turn the key to On, the system doesn't pressurize. The pump only fires up after cranking the motor. And then once it starts it's fine. But it struggles initially sometimes. My Haynes manual mentions something called a Circuit opening Relay. But I can't find where it is, or confirm online whether it even exists in my car. :/ thoughts?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park. This prob has been going on for a few years. But. It never struggled enough for me to bother about it. No. The car is all wheel drive.
JA: What year is your R500?
Customer: 2001 RX300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: oh yeah. I'm planning on replacing whatever it is that's causing the prob. Guess, my limited understanding of how the fuel pump circuit works is holding me back.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'd consider myself a master driveway mechanic :P ha. As good as a guy can get without training. Whatever they suggest, I can check it out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

Left side of the dash is the IGN fuse powered with the key on?

ECM connector E5 it has 22 pins and 19 wires. Are the black/white and blue/yellow wires powered with the key on?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Moose, apologies. your reply came later than I was hoping that day, and I haven't had a chance to check those things out yet.
I can check these things tomorrow. So I'm looking to see if the ignition fuse under the dash is getting juice with the ignition to On. ECM Connecter. The ECM is under the glove box right ?

The ECM is behind and ot the right of the glove box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just pulled out the glovebox and gonna do these tests moose. haven't had a chance to do this til today.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Moose, I just pulled the glove box out and I'm check these things out now. The IGN fuse does have power with the Key to On. Far as the EG connection on the ECU, I can't locate a connector that has 22 pins and 19 wires. Only more or less... Here's a photo, can you tell me which one ?

I do not have a pin chart. Are you able to match the wire colors from the diagram to the wires in one of the connectors.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are like 8 connectors and probably 200 wires .. Be a few days til I can dig back in there again. Assuming I find the wires, and they have power like you're saying. What would the next step be ? Or the diagnosis ?

This post has timed out and closed from no rating. I can not submit an answer without a rating.