Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

I got a code PO302 and C1201 on my lexus is300 2002. what

Customer Question

i got a code PO302 and C1201 on my lexus is300 2002. what does it mean? and how can i fix it?
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes i just replace my catlytic converter and my oxygen sensor on bank 2 . got my ecu reset
JA: What is the model of your '02 Lexus?
Customer: 2002 lexus is300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it depends i ight need to take it to the shop...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: where does cylinder 2 located ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

The C1201 is not a trouble code. This is an informational code stating that the Trac/VSC system has been temporarily turned off because the Check Engine Light is on. So, fix the reason the Check Engine Light is on, and this code will clear by itself.

The P0302 is a Cylinder Misfire on Cylinder #2. There are a few different things that can cause a single-cylinder misfire. This can be a case of a faulty spark plug, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty or clogged fuel injector, low cylinder compression, etc. More commonly here will be the spark plug or ignition coil, so this will be the best place to start. Pull the spark plug and inspect it for any problems like cracks or a worn diode. If there are any doubts, replace all the plugs. If the plug looks ok, the ignition coil will need to be tested to make sure it is sending spark to the plug correctly. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires at this time.

Cylinder #2 is the second from the front.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have had replaced my catalytic converter and my bank 2(downstream) oxygen sensor. I also have replaced the spark plug coils on 1,2, @ 3 and all the spark plugs. I also have unplugged my neg battery wire and reset my ECU. But the engine light kept popping up.I opened the cover to the spark plug cable in front and found some wires have been rewired with some red tape ducts around it. Can this be the cause to the problem? I scan the codes again and it kept popping up the misfires on cylinder 1,2, @3 and the engine control system malfunction codes(C1201)/. What could be the problem?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the wiring to the coils has been re-wired and are covered with tape, this very well could be the problem. You will need to remove the tape and make sure the wires and wired correctly and that no wires are touching other wires or touching metal at any point. You should also check the fuses at this time, as the original wiring issue could have blown a fuse. When putting the wires back together, wire nuts are the more preferred method of joining the wires, as they better conduct and insulate. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.