Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Air conditioning vent air appears to be freezing up while

Customer Question

air conditioning vent air appears to be freezing up while driving. Let car set for an hour and have air conditioning again
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: has happened 3 times, 95,000 miles. no water appears to be draining from a/c after driving. After letting set for 1/2 hour everything fine again
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: ls430 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have replaced cabin filter. A/c motor is right there and is running fine. Just no air coming out of any vent until it sets for a while.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: a/c temperature is excellent 98% of time. Happens usually when I have stopped for a few minutes and car running but not moving.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. With the AC running, and the fact of no water draining out from under the car indicates that the AC condensate (the humidity removed form the air by the AC system) is getting onto the air passages on the very cold AC evaporator under the dash. When this happens, the trapped condensate will turn to ice and freeze the unit up. I would recommend you take this car someplace where it can be raise on a vehicle hoist, and, with the car raised, locvate the AC condensate drain under the passenger/center area and see if mud and road dust have sealed it shut.

The condition you describe is very common when the AC condensate cannot drain onto the road surface.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. What I thought it may be. On the Lexus ls430 there is a cover on entire under surface.
Thanks for the confirmation.

You are very welcome. The under cover is why you need to raise the car up (so you can take it off easily). Thanks for choosing Just Answer. A positive ration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.