Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My car didn't start and I assumed it was the battery since

Customer Question

Hello. My car didn't start and I assumed it was the battery since it was old anyways. I got a new battery from NAPA and it still didn't start. It makes the power up noise and rolls over but does not start. I had an on-site mechanic arrive and he ruled out any gas line issues, and a few others. He said it was the crank shaft sensor. I bought one and he replaced it. That still did not fix the car. I keep reading things about the alarm needing reset after battery goes bad. I drove this car for 4 hours the night before it didn't start.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: 1998 Lexus ES300
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery completely replaced. It was old.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No mechanical or electric issues with this car since I bought it Nov 2013.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE master tech, and can gladly help you with this.

You need a scan tool to check for codes.

If you ruled out fuel, are you getting spark? are you getting injector pulse? do you have good compression?

If it turns over it is not a security issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will have to buy the tool tonight. When the mechanic was over, he had a scan tool and there were not any codes populating. I bought some fuses and plan to check every fuse tonight. I was also told it could be a relay. If I am unable to get it started, I will have it towed to a shop.
If no spark, what does that mean? How do I check the injector pulse and the compression status. I could google and possibly find a video on
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

If do not have spark, you could have an ecm, fuse or harness issue.

To check injector pulse. You can make a noid light out of a 194 license plate bulb, bend the tabs out and stick it into the connector of a fuel injector, have someone crank the engine and watch the bulb flash.

Compression check is done with a compression gauge. You remove all spark plugs and check each cylinder while cranking the engine. Do this last, as it is the most labor intensive. Check for spark and injector pulse first.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.

Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!